11 September 2007

Dispatch from Budapest: First Impressions - Arrival; the CEU Residence Hall

Alas, I wasn't able to muster the will to write a detailed account of my first days in Budapest as soon as promised, but, being reasonably well settled at this point, I can report to the few who read this the first tales of my foray into Central Europe.

***
Arrival

Upon arrival at Budapest's Ferihegy International Airport, I walked off the jetway, turning to see a fairly clear, sunny day over the tarmac. Having cleared passport control, I collected my checked baggage and, not having anything to declare, cleared customs, meeting Karl Hall, director of the Bard/CEU undergraduate program, in the terminal's arrival area. After introducing himself and providing me with some basic documents from the program, Karl arranged for a taxi to take us to the CEU Residence Hall, which serves both as a dormitory for University students and as a conference center. Arriving at the Residence Hall, I met the undergraduate program coordinator, Monica Jitareanu who provided some additional documents and helped me settle myself in my assigned room.

The Residence Hall

There are a few irritating things worth noting about the Residence Hall. First, and perhaps most frustrating, is its distance from downtown Budapest: getting to the heart of the city requires a 30-minute ride on Budapest's public transportation system. Second, there are few amenities nearby, save two large shopping complexes about a mile from the Hall, as well as a grocery store and a McDonald's which are a short, 10-minute walk away. Third, the rooms in the Hall are of variable quality, some sporting a television and a small kitchen, while others, like mine, only contain a bed, a desk, a few shelves, and a full bathroom. Finally, the food at the Hall's cafeteria, while inexpensive, consisted mostly of heavy, fried dishes along with a salad bar that comprised vegetables which were, almost without exception, pickled. Such a menu seems hardly typical, as most restaurants sampled so far have offered a much wider variety of dishes.

***
Next:
  • the public transportation system; and
  • life outside of the Residence Hall.

No comments: